WE love our smartphones and other gadgets and they can be worth thousands of pounds. So make sure you’ve got some kind of cover. Here’s what you need to know:

■ If you’ve got home contents insurance, you may be able to cover your gadgets under your existing policy. ‘Personal posessions’ cover protects your belongings whenever you leave home, at no additional cost. Speak to your insurer to find out what it covers.

■ Contents insurance doesn’t cover all eventualities, and often have caps that may not cover all your possessions. However, there are three potential alternatives…

1. Specialist gadget insurance is around £6 a month, and will cover loss, theft and accidental damage. As with most insurance policies, if you claim against your gadget insurance you’ll have to pay an excess.

2. Some banks offer gadget and breakdown cover and travel insurance via a monthly fee but it can work out as high as £13. You’ll need to decide if you can justify the extra cost.

3. Manufacturers of tablets sometimes offer gadget insurance but watch out — they may exclude loss or theft from the cover, and will only cover accidental damage.

Find out more about gadget insurance at which.co.uk. Gareth Shaw is a Which? money expert

Source link


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here